View policy pdf: Non-Employee Travel Policy
The University of Georgia follows all policies set by the University System of Georgia and Board of Regents. The policy can be found in the Board of Regents Procedures Manual: Section 19.9 Non-Employee Travel. This section addresses non-employee travel to include students, consultants, and individuals applying for a job at the institution. Travel expenses for non-employees should be limited to certain circumstances as described below:
- Students authorized to travel for participation in academic programs and sanctioned student events to include athletic and recruiting events. Students include individuals enrolled to take classes at an institution, including students enrolled in Continuing Education, and individuals being recruited as potential students.
- Individuals contracted to perform a service for the institution where the contract provides for travel expense reimbursement.
- Research, academic conference, or academic event travel funded by a grant award to the institution in those instances when the grant award specifically authorizes payment for non-employee travel in support of research, academic conference, or academic event.
- Job applicant travel associated with an interview. Units may reimburse travel expenses for job candidates traveling to meet University personnel for an interview. The unit should consider the level and type of vacant position, recruiting budget, and if the costs of the candidate’s travel benefits the University in the search to fill a position.
- Including interview expenses in the contract with an external search firm.
- Requiring a job candidate to perform a service to the institution, such as a presentation on subject matter applicable to the position applied for consideration provided to the candidate for this service would be the reimbursement of travel expenses.
- Requesting travel expense reimbursement for the job candidate from the Foundation.
Note: Reimbursement of authorized travel expenses is subject to the allowable limits and conditions as discussed in BPM Section 4.4 through 4.9. All travel expenses in these categories should be charged to account 6501XX and properly documented using a form designed for that purpose.
Responsible University Senior Administrator: Vice President for Finance & Administration
Responsible University Administrator: Associate Vice President - Finance Division
Policy Owner: Accounts Payable
Policy Contact: Westley Bargo
Phone Number: 706-542-2786