Skip to main content

Payments to Non-Employee for Services Rendered

Accounts Payable

View policy pdf: Payments to Non-Employee for Services Rendered Policy

Payments may be made to a non-University employee who has provided services to the University. Such payments may also include reimbursement for expenses incurred by the payee.

Payments for fees and expenses should be listed separately on the Non-Employee Payment Form as well as the payment request created through the Accounts Payable module in the Financial Management System. Original documents must be submitted to support reimbursable expenses, and these expenses will be recorded as “per diem and fees”.

Reimbursement of expenses must be made to the individual who incurred the expenses. Prospective employees may be reimbursed for travel expenses under this policy.

The University will comply with all IRS policies that address the potential classification conflict between independent contractors and employee. Staff should contact Human Resources in advance to determine if a person who will perform services for the University should be paid as an employee or independent contractor.

When payment is requested for a professional, business establishment, or any other organization for rendering a service, an invoice is required along with the Non-Employee Payment Form. When an invoice is provided, the signature of the payee is not required on the form, and the total payment to the payee will be considered as a fee. However, if an invoice is not included, the payee must sign the Non-Employee Payment Form.

Payments will not be made in advance of service performance.

A letter of justification must be included as part of the supporting documents for an expenditure request to pay a relative of an employee when the relative is used as a consultant by a department, and the transaction must comply with the Conflict of Interest Policy. The letter of justification must accompany the University Consulting Agreement Form or Non-Employee Payment Form. Links to these forms are provided in the Forms/Instructions section.

Payments for consulting fees may be made for professional services rendered by non-University employees only. Please refer to the Consulting Services Policy for procedures relating to paying consultants. The procedures will be in effect regardless of the source of funding.

Additional requirements exist when paying non-resident aliens. The intended recipient’s visa type determines the type of payment that UGA may legally process to the person. All UGA payments to non-resident aliens are subject to withholding taxes and are reportable to the Internal Revenue Service.

Payments to non-resident aliens are also reviewed by the University’s International Tax Coordinator. Please consult the Payments to Internationals Website for more information.


Responsible University Senior Administrator: Vice President for Finance & Administration

Responsible University Administrator: Associate Vice President for Finance Division

Policy Owner: Accounts Payable

Policy Contact: Westley Bargo

Phone Number: 706-542-2786

Date Issued: 01/01/2016

Last Reviewed/Updated: