Finance and Administration 〉 Travel 〉 Non-Employee Travel

Non-Employee Travel

  • Last Updated: 05/11/2017
  • Effective Date:

Policy Statement

This policy shall address non-employee travel to include students, consultants, official guests, and individuals applying for a job at the institution. Travel expenses for non-employees should be limited to certain circumstances as described below:

  1. Students authorized to travel for participation in academic programs and sanctioned student events to include athletic and recruiting events.
  2. Individuals contracted to perform a service for the institution where the contract provides for travel reimbursement.
  3. Job applicant travel associated with an interview. Note: Job applicant travel does not include pre-move or house-hunting trips once an employment offer has been extended to the candidate. If travel is provided to the candidate between the time an offer has been made and the time an offer has been officially accepted, those travel expenditures cannot be made from a University account; however, departments can request expenses be paid directly from a University Foundation account. Once the offer has been accepted by the candidate, payment for travel expenses that are not business related (i.e. pre-move or house hunting trips) must follow procedures as outlined in the Relocation Expenses Policy.
  4. Official guests providing a direct benefit to the University by collaborating, presenting, or participating in academic, research, or conference activities. This arrangement would represent a “quid pro quo” scenario between the official guest and the University (i.e. the University is paying the travel expenses of the non-employee in exchange for the services/benefits received).

Payment of travel for non-employees as described above, should take into account funding availability and the business necessity of paying such travel. Departments may commit reasonable and necessary amounts for these expenditures; however, payment of these travel expenses is subject to the allowable limits as specified in the UGA Travel Policy. All non-employee travel expenditure documentation is open for public examination. University employees and management should take necessary steps to ensure that all non-employee travel payments are thoroughly documented and appropriately reviewed and approved at the department head level in accordance with the UGA Travel Policy.

This policy does not allow for payment from a University account, regardless of the funding source, for travel expenses of guests, spouses, or family members accompanying the non-employee. Payment of travel expenses for guests, spouses, or family members accompanying the non-employee must be paid directly from a University Foundation account.

Reason for policy

This policy is to define when payment of non-employee travel expenditures is appropriate.


Payment of these expenses will be a reimbursement to the non-employee or a direct payment by the University to a travel agency or other provider. University Purchasing Cards (P-Cards)may not be used for any non-employee travel payments besides student travel. Refer to the P-Card Manual for further guidance on use of the P-Card.

The funding sources available to pay for permissible non-employee travel, depending on the category of non-employee, are outlined below. Please reference the UGA Chart of Accounts link.

Student Travel:

  • Student Activities Fees
  • Auxiliary Accounts
  • Study Abroad DV Accounts
  • General Operating Funds
  • Restricted Funds which allow the expense

Contracted Individuals Performing Services (when the contract provides for travel expenses):

  • Same funding source as used to pay the contract

Job Applicant Travel Associated with an Interview:

  • General Operating Funds
  • Departmental Sales and Service when the interviewee is applying for work directly related to the sales or service operation and when the expense can be supported by the budget of the operation.
  • Auxiliary Accounts
  • Restricted Funds which allow the expense

*With respect to travel related to interviewees, there are only two methods to pay for these expenses from a University account, regardless of the funding source of that account. These methods are:

1) Include interviewee travel expenses in the contract with an external search firm.

2) Require the interviewee to perform a service to the institution, such as a presentation on subject matter applicable to the position applied for. Consideration provided to the candidate for this service is the payment or reimbursement of the travel expenses.

If neither of the two methods noted above can accommodate the payment or reimbursement of travel expenses for the interviewee, departments must request that these expenses be paid directly from a University Foundation account.

Travel for Official Guests participating in Academic, Research, or Conference Activities:

  • General Operating Funds
  • Departmental Sales and Service when the participation is directly related to the sales or service operation and when the expense can be supported by the budget of the operation.
  • Auxiliary Accounts
  • Restricted Funds which allow the expense
  • When using UGA restricted accounts funded by one of the University Foundations, the underlying fund agreement must allow for payment of the travel expenses.

Sponsored program funding may be utilized only if allowed under the terms of the award. Awards may include limitations on amounts for travel expenses or may have limits on payment of certain types of travel expenses. Any expense charged to a sponsored account must meet the requirements of the award and/or the requirements of the funding agency or sponsor.

All travel expenses in these categories will be charged to object code 72714 and must be submitted through the Electronic Check Request System. An approved Non-Employee Payment Form should accompany the request. Requests for payment of travel expenses for interviewees and official guests providing a service to the University must include a description of the services performed and how these services were a direct benefit to the University. The departmental representative approving the Non-Employee Payment Form must certify that services purchased were in accordance with provision of the University’s administrative policies and procedures.

Completed Honoraria and Fees Information Sheets should be submitted via the Electronic Check Request System. Receipts for all expenses other than meal per diems should be attached. Any requests for reimbursement of mileage should include documentation of the number of miles traveled.


Responsible University Senior Administrator: Vice President for Finance & Administration

Responsible University Administrator: Associate Vice President & Controller

Policy Owner:Accounts Payable

Policy Contact:  Westley Bargo

Phone Number: (706) 542-2786

Record Retention

Research Grant Records
Number 0472-09-006
These records relate to funded research grant proposals and research activity associated with grant funded projects.  Examples of records include: supporting statistics, demographic data, draft proposals, suggested revisions, final proposals, forms, protocols, applications, research/activity reports, progress reports, and summary reports.
Retention: Final research report is permanent. All other records: 7 years after the end of the grant period.


Accounting Records
Number 0472-03-001
This series includes bank statements, purchase requests, purchase orders, requisitions, financial reports, accounts payable and receivable records, write-off records, discrepancy, payment schedules, operating statements, year-end projections, reconciliation and expenditure reports, cancelled checks, check stubs, moving expense records, cost accounting reports, refund/disbursement request records, returned checks, deposit slips, travel records, credit voucher requisition records, cash balances and reconciliations, sales and cash reconciliation records, journal entries, outstanding obligations, refund/disbursement requests, receipts and invoices.
Retention: Monthly and quarterly reports: 1 year. All other records: 5 years.


Credit Card Administration Records
Number 0472-03-013
This series documents administration of credit cards and P-cards issued to institutional staff and units. Records may include: applications, master monthly billing statements, individual card holders' statements, billing summaries, printouts including vendor analysis by code, number of charges and stores, and use summaries.
Retention: 7 years.