Purchases for Field Trips may need special permission granted by the Procurement Officer
when such purchases cannot be made utilizing normal purchasing policies and procedures.
Please note that most field trips involve research and employee travel, and this policy
does not apply to student excursions which could be classified as a “field trip”.
Reason for policy
To provide guidance on how to obtain permission to purchase goods and services required
when University employees make field trips and where such purchases cannot be made
utilizing the normal purchasing policies and procedures as described elsewhere in
From time to time, University employees need to make field trips related to their
University activities. For flexibility in planning and ordering or for other reasons,
it may be advantageous to request and obtain special permission to exceed normal petty
cash, reimbursable charge, pcard, or check request purchasing limitations for supplies
and equipment while the trip is in progress.
Such requests should be submitted in letter form, signed by the originator, and include
the following information:
- Site(s) of field trip;
- Nature of field trip (such as research on a specific project);
- Source of funding and University account numbers;
- General nature of items to be purchased (such as supplies and equipment);
- Any equipment rentals needed and approximate cost;
- Estimated maximum dollar purchase for any given transaction for supplies and equipment
(exclude room, board, transportation);
- Estimated maximum dollar purchase for supplies and equipment for the total period
involved (exclude room, board, transportation);
- Period to be covered (approximate beginning and ending dates);
- Method of payment contemplated, such as from petty cash funds, pcard or charge via
check request procedures.
Payments: Please allow adequate processing time for all payments. The University
incurs costs when funds are wired so please limit requests for wire transfers. Please
refer to section 126.96.36.199 for more information regarding wire transfers.
Responsible University Senior Administrator: Vice President for Finance & Administration
Responsible University Administrator:
Policy Owner: Procurement
Policy Contact: Annette Evans
Phone Number: 706-542-2361
Retention for purchase order files may vary by the method of purchase (competitive,
sole source, under the competitive bid threshold)
Retention: 5 years, BOR 0472-03-001; 7 years BOR 072-03-009