• Last Updated: 04/25/2016
  • Effective Date:

Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is required by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia and state and federal regulations to inventory and track moveable assets.  Assets are acquired from a variety of sources and must be used for institutional purposes and they must be disposed of in accordance to state guidelines.  There are several options for disposing of state vehicles.
Reason for policy
Ensure all UGA assets are disposed of properly.
Vehicles which are obsolete or excess to the needs of the custodial department may be disposed of by transfer to the University’s Unassigned Property Unit in Athens. If the excess vehicle is transferred to the University's Surplus Property Unit, action will be taken by the Property Control Office to remove it from the listing of the custodial department at the time the transfer is processed. If the excess vehicle is held at the custodial department's location, with final disposition to be made by direction of the Surplus Property Unit later, action will be taken by the Property Control Office to remove those items from the listing of the custodial department at the time of final disposition. It is the department's responsibility to record the UGA inventory number of items sent to surplus on the Surplus Equipment Transfer List form.  The Property Control office will not transfer items from the custodial department's inventory to surplus if the inventory number is not listed or is illegible on the Surplus Equipment Transfer List.

All Property Control Forms can be found at the following site:

Additional contacts
Property Control Office, 706-542-4390,

Responsible University Senior Administrator:Vice President for Finance & Administration

Responsible University Administrator: Associate Vice President & Controller

Policy Owner:UGA Property Control

Policy Contact:Craig Mathews

Phone Number: 706-542-4390


How do I transfer vehicles to Surplus Property?

Surplus Property, also known as the “Surplus Unit,” “Unassigned Property Unit,” or “Surplus” has a form used for handling the transfer of unneeded equipment.  This form is located on the Administrative Forms website at 

The form entitled “Surplus Equipment Transfer List” requires your signature certifying that any lab items on the form are free from radioactive, chemical and/or biological hazards.

If my department wishes to sell a vehicle rather than transfer it to Surplus, can we sell it and receive the funds from the sale?

Vehicles not needed by one department may be needed by another.  The Property Control office/Surplus Unit maintains a listing of departments in need of reliable used vehicles.  Vehicles that are no longer needed will be offered to the departments on this listing on a first come, first served basis.