Keyword Search
Finance and Administration 〉 Finance 〉 Property Control (Equipment and other Asset Inventory) 〉 Asset Use 〉 Transfer asset to another department for use there

Transfer asset to another department for use there

    • Last Updated: 05/27/2016
    • Effective Date:

    Policy Statement
    The University of Georgia is required by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia and state and federal regulations to inventory and track moveable assets.  Assets are acquired from a variety of sources and must be used for institutional purposes.
    Reason for policy
    This policy shows how to track property owned by or in the possession of UGA and to comply with state and federal guidelines for use of property.

    To record transfers of equipment (between University departments or between buildings within a department) departments should complete the Notice of Change in Departmental Equipment and forward a copy to the Property Control office.  This form can also be used even if the transfer is within the custodial department (i.e., a change of buildings or a change of rooms within the same building).

    Departments should use caution when transferring equipment to other departments that may contain sensitive data.  If necessary, departments should sanitize or reformat the hard drive according to procedures established by the Office of Information Security.


    All Property Control Forms can be found at the following site:

    Additional contacts
    Property Control Office, 706-542-4390,

    Responsible University Senior Administrator:Vice President for Finance & Administration

    Responsible University Administrator: Associate Vice President & Controller

    Policy Owner:UGA Property Control

    Policy Contact:Craig Mathews

    Phone Number: 706-542-4390

    Record Retention

    For all assets all documentation should be retained for 5 years after disposition of equipment. [0472-01-005]


    How do I transfer a piece of equipment from my department to another department?

    To transfer equipment to another department, use a “transfer form,” (Notice of Change in Departmental Equipment).  Under Property Control choose the form entitled “Intra University Equipment Changes.”  Please supply all the information requested to facilitate a clean and full transfer of this item.  Transfer forms must be issued by the department currently “owning” the equipment.  It is recommended that you contact the receiving department to give notice that you are about to transfer an item of equipment inventory and to obtain the correct account number to use on the form.  Incomplete forms may be returned for completion.