Keyword Search


    • Last Updated: 05/27/2016
    • Effective Date:

    Policy Statement
    The University of Georgia is required by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia and state and federal regulations to inventory and track moveable assets.  Assets are acquired from a variety of sources and must be used for institutional purposes and they must be disposed of in accordance to state guidelines. The Department of Administrative Services defines surplus property as “any item that is non-consumable and non-expendable that is no longer needed”.  These items may or may not be inventoried by the University of Georgia.  There are several options for disposing of state property.
    Reason for policy

    Ensure all UGA assets are disposed of properly.

    Assets will be removed from inventory as ‘destroyed’ in the case of fire, flood, vandalism, lightning, etc.  Custodial departments must complete an Affidavit of Destruction and forward it to Property Control.

    All Property Control Forms can be found at the following site:

    Additional contacts

    Property Control Office, 706-542-4390,


    Responsible University Senior Administrator:Vice President for Finance & Administration

    Responsible University Administrator: Associate Vice President & Controller

    Policy Owner:UGA Property Control

    Policy Contact:Craig Mathews

    Phone Number: 706-542-4390

    Record Retention

    For all assets all documentation should be retained for 5 years after disposition of equipment. [0472-01-005]


    How do I get items that my department has destroyed removed from my inventory?

    Departments are not allowed to destroy assets.  Turn your unneeded items in to Surplus Property. The State of Georgia Department of Administrative Services (DOAS) has placed a new emphasis on the proper handling of items deemed unneeded by the department. The proper handling of unneeded items is to transfer them to Surplus Property.  Contact the Property Control Office for unusual circumstances.

    How do I get items that have been destroyed removed from my inventory?

    Items that have been destroyed by flood, fire, lightning, etc., can be removed from a department's inventory as destroyed.  This method requires the approval of The Department of Administrative Services and the completion of an Affidavit of Destruction.  If these circumstances fit your situation please call the Property Control Office 706-542-4390.