Mail and Receiving
Mail Services is responsible for providing an effective, timely and economical system
of moving internal campus mail between the various offices and residence halls throughout
the University, and for processing incoming and outgoing U.S. Mail to and from the
U.S. Post Office.
Reason for policy
In an effort to meet the scheduled departure times of the U.S. Post Office and to
ensure the University’s mail is handled in an efficient and timely manner, the department
of Mail Services coordinates the pick-up and dispatch of all classes of U.S. Mail.
It advises all offices and departments regarding the handling and processing of "mass"
mailings to determine lowest possible rates and timely schedules. This includes the
coordination of pick-up and delivery of mass mailings to and from the departments
and offices to Mail Services and then to the U.S. Post Office.
Incoming/Outgoing Mail on Campus: Mail will be picked up and delivered to all predestinated
delivery points in buildings on campus, Monday through Friday. Scheduled times for
daily pick-up and delivery are developed for each office. The schedule is revised
as frequently as is necessary to ensure timely movement of mail. Since little variance
will be allowed in the schedule, all offices are requested to have outgoing mail ready
for pick-up (separated and bundled by stamped mail, mail to be stamped and campus
mail) when the carrier arrives.
- Dwayne Weaver
- Phone Number: 706-425-3263
- Mail Services is defined as "official University correspondence or communications
originating on the campus of the University for delivery on campus.”
- Bulk Mailings or Mass Mailings is the processing of a large volume of identical pieces
- Responsible University Senior Administrator: Vice President for Finance & Administration
- Responsible University Administrator: Associate Vice President and Controller for
Finance & Administration
- Policy Owner: Administrative Services
- Policy Contact: Dwayne Weaver
- Phone Number: 706-425-3263
This series provides a record of items that are mailed by the department via UPS,
U.S. Postal Service, Federal Express, or another carrier. Records may be used for
billing and/or tracing. These records include: printing and mailing shipping forms;
parcel mailing order forms; postage forms; and related correspondence.
Record Copy: Mail Services
Retention: 5 years, BOR 0472-01-013
- Where is Mail Services located?
Mail Services is located at 4435 Atlanta Highway, Athens, GA 30606.
- What are their hours of operation?
Hours of operation are from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday thru Friday.
- What are the zip codes for the University campus?
The zip code for UGA student residence halls is 30609. All other buildings on Campus
have a 30602 zip code.
- If I send an overnight package through the USPS to my student living in a residence
hall, will it be delivered on Saturday?
No. Mail Services does not operate on Saturday or Sunday. The earliest your student
would receive the package would be on Monday.
- Can I use Mail Services to have personal materials distributed across campus?
No. Use of Mail Services is limited to official University business and should not
be used for personal matters, greeting cards, political stances, campaign literature,
solicitations for outside interest, chain letters, and the sale or rental of houses
or personal property.
- Will Mail Services pick up my UPS and/or FedEx package? No. All UPS and FedEx packages
must be taken to a UPS or FedEx drop box on Campus or the UPS or FedEx main facilities.
Does Mail Services pick up international mail and packages?
Yes. A USPS Customs Form must be completed when submitting international mail to Mail Services.